Capital for Colleagues plc (C4C) is focused on investing in mainly UK businesses, which we believe demonstrate a genuine commitment to employee ownership in order to generate an attractive return for shareholders.
We provide patient capital to enable the transition to an employee owned business (EOB) and to existing EOBs for growth using equity, equity-related investment capital (such as convertible loans) and/or debt financing.
Investments made by C4C will normally take the form of minority shareholdings, with the Company investing alongside employees and assuming an active interest in the investee company. All investments will need to have an eventual opportunity to exit or be expected to return capital and provide an attractive dividend or profit stream.
Potential investee companies will be assessed using investment criteria including, but not limited to:
- An ability to enhance the prospects and future value of that company via the injection of our patient capital.
- An ability to benefit from C4C Directors’ and managers’ experience and network of contacts
- The prospect of long-term, sustainable growth
- The potential to deliver significant returns for C4C.
Investee companies will be considered irrespective of their current situation, be they profitable, temporarily loss-making or requiring re-financing, but all must show a clear commitment to delivering these attributes:
- A clear commitment to employee ownership
- The ability for all employees to own shares in the business
- The opportunity for employees to be meaningfully engaged and involved in the operation of the business
- For employees to influence corporate strategy
- A fair distribution of profits amongst shareholders.